With 6 children, 4 dogs and a full time job, I do not watch a lot of television. There is just no time. Thank Goodness for DVR recording.. Sometimes I sit and watch Food Network and eat pistachios out of the bag, but they’re better in a pesto. This is not your typical basil or spinach pesto recipe..
I originally came up with this recipe after making Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts 1001 times in the cafe. I was bored with it and decided to gourmet it up a bit.. So made a Cranberry Pistachio Pine Nut Pesto to put on them. The pesto was sooooo good that I decided to incorporate it into other dishes.
Cranberry Pistachio Pine Nut Pesto would be incredible as a crostini appetizer, stuffed inside a chicken breast or wrapped into puff pastry with brie.. My mouth is already watering thinking about it.
- 1/4 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- handful of fresh parsley
- juice of a lemon
- 1/2 cups olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Place the pistachios, pine nuts, cranberries, garlic, parsley and lemon juice into a food processor and process until very finely chopped. While the food processor is running, slowly drizzle in olive oil.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- The pesto should be slightly sweet and salty.
You could substitute the pine nuts for all pistachios. I personally just like the buttery nutty flavor of the pine nut addition.