I love using phyllo dough, and many times I may have some leftover sheets. Like today.. I made a pot pie with a phyllo crust and had extra sheets laying around. Instead of re-freezing them, I turned the extras into crispy little crackers.
This recipe would work with all sorts of savory toppings & flavors.. I just chose the nuts because thats what I had on hand and it seemed like a good idea.. It was. We loved them. QUICK & EASY.
This would also be delicious omitting the seeds and brushed with garlic, parmesan & herbs.. A homemade garlic breadstick cracker so to speak..
Pumpkin Seed Phyllo Dough Crackers
- phyllo dough sheets
- melted butter
- egg white, beaten
- seeds of choice - sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, poppy seeds, sesame seeds,etc
- Preheat oven to 375*
- Mix seeds in a bowl...
- Brush 1 phyllo dough sheet with melted butter, add second phyllo sheet on top and brush with melted butter. Place a third sheet on top of the 2 buttered phyllo sheets and brush with beaten egg white, making sure the whole sheet is brushed well.
- Sprinkle with seed mixture, making sure the phyllo sheet gets covered with the seeds and cut into squares or strips.
- Place onto a greased cookie sheet and bake in a preheated oven for 5 minutes... or until golden brown. Keep on eye on them as every oven is different.
- Allow to cool and enjoy!... Store in an airtight container.
TaylorMade Market - Andrea Taylor
These “crackers” are so light and crispy…they shatter in your mouth. It’s the perfect entertaining appetizer. …a great little treat to munch on before a dinner gathering. Or make them for special occasions…. or simply as a snack.