The “stack” was a forever popular dish on the TaylorMade Menu.. It’s kind of like a quesadilla, except a lot less work and far less fat since it’s baked, not fried.. We made a pulled pork & cheddar cheese stack with caramelized onion and bbq sauce, a mushroom & goat cheese stack with roasted veggies and sundried tomato, a philly cheesesteak stack and of course this one, the Santa Fe Tortilla Stack.. A hearty & flavorful vegetarian main dish with Black Beans, roasted garlic, caramelized onion & Sweet Corn layered between flour tortillas & cheddar cheese stacked and topped with a lime sour cream, avocado, tomato, scallions and cilantro (or parsley if you’re a hater). FYI: Kids absolutely love the stack..
I usually have 2 or 3 tortillas leftover that won’t fit into the stack. Instead of throwing them back into the fridge I stack them, cut them in half, in half again, place on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake at 350 for 5-7 min or until brown. You can also use a cinnamon sugar mixture for a sweet treat to go along with the meal.
- 1 cup caramelized onion, see below
- 1 head garlic, roasted, see below
- mexican seasoning of choice (I used smoked paprika, cumin & chili powder)
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 10oz pkg frozen corn
- 1 pkg cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp cilantro or parsley chopped
- 1 pkg flour tortilla (use appropriate size for your springform pan)
- Lime Sour Cream, see below
- Caramelized onions:2 large onions, chopped. Place onions on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.. Roast at 425* for 20-30 min, stirring occasionally until browned and caramelized..
- Roasted Garlic: Cut top off head of garlic, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt, wrap in foil and cook alongside the onions for 15-20 min until soft..
- Lime Sour Cream: 1/2 container of sour cream + 2 limes, zest & juice + pinch sea salt. Mix together in a bowl, set aside.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic onto a cutting board and smash the garlic into a paste. In a large skillet on med high heat, add 1 tbsp of olive oil and dry spices. Stir for 30 sec. Add the smashed garlic, caramelized onion, black beans & corn. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro or parsley.
- In a springform pan, start with a flour tortilla and add a layer of the black bean & corn mixture, sprinkle of cheese and top with another tortilla then repeat.. Black bean & corn mixture, cheddar cheese, flour tortilla until you get to the top of your pan or run out of mixture. I ended with a tortilla on top sprinkled with cheese.
- Bake 350 for 20 min or until heated throughly and browned on top. Let cool for 10 min before removing from the springform pan. Cut into wedges and drizzle with lime sour cream and add toppings of your choice..
- Optional Toppings: Avocado, tomato, scallions, lime sour cream, cilantro or parsley
This is a vegetarian version, but feel free to TaylorMake your own stack. For the meat lovers out there, This would be great with lean ground beef or ground turkey/chicken. Be creative with your flavors and let me know your favorite stack recipe.