My kids used to eat spinach when they were younger until they discovered how healthy it was and how much it failed in taste comparison to sugary candy. I used to get them to eat spinach by calling it “incredible hulk” and collard greens by naming it “tree stars” (from the land before time) but our youngest is now 11 and he caught on long ago. Although they wouldn’t fight over the last bag of spinach, My kids really love this salad. It’s not because they have a new found love of spinach, trust me.. It’s Probably because it is on a stick. In my experience as a mom, you can put just about anything on a stick and a child will eat it.
or adults for that matter.
We always had some form of salad on the TaylorMade Daily Special. Sometimes we would feature a salad off the cafe menu or create a brand new one with whatever gorgeous produce was in season.
I came up with this idea last summer for a ladies lunch I was catering. I was asked by the hostess to create a vegan “No Fork Needed” appetizer menu and this was one of the dishes.
I used regular wooden skewers that I cut in half. Don’t drizzle with the balsamic glaze until right before serving.
- 1 large container strawberries, washed, dried, & stems removed
- 1 bag baby spinach leaves, washed, dried & stems removed
- 1/2 cup sliced candied almonds (recipe follows)
- Balsamic Glaze to drizzle
- For the Candied Almonds
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Place one strawberry onto a skewer and slide it down, leaving about 1-2 inches at the end of the stick. Stack 3-4 spinach leaves, fold them over and place onto the stick. repeat with remaining strawberries and spinach using 3 strawberries per skewer.. Lay the salad skewers onto a serving platter. Sprinkle with candied almonds. When ready to serve, drizzle with Balsamic Glaze.
- For the candied almonds: Combine almonds and sugar in a small skillet over medium-high heat; cook and stir until sugar is melted over almonds. You will be constantly stirring, so don’t plan to go anywhere for the next 3-5 minutes. Spread almonds in a single layer on waxed paper to cool.
Food is so much more fun when its on a stick. Just look at the carnivals & fair’s. Just about everything comes on a stick nowadays. But this isn’t post isn’t about greasy deep fried fair foods… It’s oh so much more. I have devoted an entire board on Pinterest to it.
Check out some other creative ideas from my “Food on a Stick” Pinterest Board
I absolutely love this salad and how gorgeous it looks. This beautiful summer salad that can be made year round since strawberries & spinach are always available. Making it a perfect dish for a Holiday Christmas Party.
I want to share a blog I absolutely love called Brit + Co. Check out the post for 100 things you can serve on a stick
Featuring cake pops, kabobs and popsicles it’s all here.
Breakfast, appetizers, dinner & desserts. You are sure to get inspired.