These Vanilla Meringue Cookies are 100% Guilt-Free. ZERO FAT.
Meringue Cookies are super easy to make and only 3 ingredients – Egg whites, cream of tarter & sugar
Eggs separate better when they are COLD.. Eggs whites whip better when they are ROOM TEMP. So the solution? Take eggs from refrigerator and separate whites & yolks. Allow the whites to sit in a bowl for 30 min and come to room temp. Then transfer to a glass or stainless steel bowl and whip away.
It is also important to add the sugar SLOWLY. One tsp at a time. This was you will get a beautiful silky smooth and a shiny glossy finish, like this…
You want a smooth silky & shiny egg white that holds stiff peaks. With a piping tip and a ziplock bag, I was able to make these in no time. Makes clean up easier too.
You could add a few drops of food coloring or other flavor extracts to TaylorMake your own version.
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup superfine or caster sugar (make your own super fine sugar by taking granulated white sugar and process it for about 30-60 seconds in a blender or food processor)
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. You can form the cookies with a pastry bag (or ziplock bag + piping tip) or use two spoons to make the cookies.
- In the bowl beat the egg whites on low-medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and continue to beat the whites until they hold soft peaks. Add the sugar, one teaspoon at a time, continue to beat, on medium-high speed, until the meringue holds very stiff peaks. Beat in the vanilla extract.*The meringue is done when it holds stiff peaks and when you rub a little between your thumb and index finger it does not feel gritty. If it feels gritty the sugar has not fully dissolved so keep beating until it feels smooth between your fingers.
- Transfer the meringue to a pastry bag or spoon mounds of meringue, using two spoons, onto the prepared sheets.
- Bake the meringues for approximately 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, rotating the baking sheet from front to back (about half way through) to ensure even baking. The meringues are done when they are pale in color and fairly crisp and will release easy from the parchment paper. Turn off the oven, open the door a crack, and leave the meringues in the oven to finish drying several hours.
TaylorMade Market - Andrea Taylor