I never order soup in a restaurant.. Just not really a soup kind of gal, but I never realized how popular soup was until I opened a restaurant. I could count on 2 hands the different soups I made before opening TaylorMade Market. Now I have lost count. Daily phone calls: What is the Soup of the Day? was a HIGH demand item.. So we always had 2-3 choices everyday. Something for the vegetarians & vegans as well.
It didn’t matter that we lived in Florida and it was 110* degrees outside, people still wanted soup.
We made hot soups, chilled soups, pureed soups, chunky soup, soups you have never heard of because we made them up. Roasted Brussels Sprout & Brie Soup, Caramelized Cauliflower Coconut curry, Peanut Thai Veg, Sweet Potato Stew, BBQ Corn Chili, etc.
This is THE BEST Cream of Mushroom soup I have ever tasted. We made this soup just for the Green Bean Casserole. I had an argument with a friend regarding the cost effectiveness and my wasted time (as she put it) of using this homemade soup in my recipe instead of the normal can of campbells mushroom soup. She said “You can’t even taste the difference”. I asked, How do you know? You haven’t even tried mine! It’s really hard to argue a point with someone that has reached a verdict before testing both sides. So I helped her to make a REAL decision. I showed up at her house with two green bean casseroles. One with my homemade soup and one with the can. Guess which one was the winner? HANDS DOWN – Not even a question. She humbly asked if I would leave the rest of the winning pan with her. Besides the fresh green beans from the farmers market, The homemade mushroom soup was the only secret to my green bean casserole.
I would like to put a disclaimer that this soup is DELICIOUS but not figure friendly.
Butter, Cream – you know where I am going with this. Just have a salad with the soup, it will cancel out the calories.. haha
I personally like both textures (and look) of mushrooms in the soup. I slice half the mushrooms and chop the other half. but feel free to use the mushroom however you would like.
My kids LOVE this soup, everyone does. Well, almost. I’ve only met one person who didn’t like this soup. I won’t mention names, but out of the hundreds of compliments I received on this recipe.. Why do I remember your one complaint? I guess it goes to show that you can be the most beautiful, fresh picked, best tasting peach in the world, but there is someone out there that doesn’t like peaches.
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 15 ounces fresh mushrooms (shiitake, portobello, cremini)
- 3 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stick butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cup vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt or Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup minced fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping them with a dry paper towel. Don't wash them! Slice the mushroom or chop them into bite-sized pieces. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large pot saute the mushrooms & thyme appx 10 min until lightly browned. Place in a bowl and set aside. Remove thyme stems (leaves should have fallen off)
- In the same pot, Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil and saute the onions until tender. Cook covered over low heat stirring occasionally for 15 min. Add the mushrooms back to the pot.
- Next, Add the butter, allow to melt then add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the vegetable stock and stir for another minute, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer for 15 minutes. Add the half-and-half, cream, and parsley. Heat through but do not boil. Serve hot.
- season with salt and pepper, to taste
TaylorMade Market - Andrea Taylor
So what if you are not a fan of mushroom soup?
Here is a list of 100 yummy soup recipes (with photos)
from some amazing food bloggers featured on Huffington Post
The gorgeous soup photos below belong to:
Bouillabaisse – Steamy Kitchen
African Chicken Peanut Stew – Simply Recipes
Chickpea & Spinach Stew – Huffington Post Taste Editors – Flat Art Studios
Turkish Yogurt Soup w/Lamb Meatballs – Five and Spice
Chipotle Pumpkin Soup – Simply Recipes
Roasted Chicken Noodle Soup – How sweet it is